Saturday, August 3, 2013

A BREED APART (1984) VHS Review


    Who can deny the screen power of Rutger Hauer? Well , I did back in 1984 when A BREED APART came out on hbo. But I was a lil' snotnosed punk , what did I know?  I must have known him because of BLADERUNNER , by then. And you know all about BLADERUNNER but A BREED APART is about mountain climbing AND egg collecting....no WOW here.I found this tape at the Salvation Army for fiddy cents and Rutger Hauer looks like a badass on the cover! He looks like he could partner up with Mad Max , Snake Pliskin ,  Wolverine , or be The Punishers Vietnam war buddy. Or he could be the adversary of any of these characters. And he looks exactly the same in the movie as he does on the cover. And you guys love Rutger , right? I like every movie I have seen him in. There's something about him , something likeable , he's cool and mysterious and kinda crazy. He's so much more charasmatic than say Sam Worthington , channing Tatum , Vin Diesel , I even like him more than Marky Mark , Matt Damon , Van Damme and Russell Crow.
     So I watched A BREED APART and it was pretty good and mostly because of Rutger. He's a Vietnam vet and has a crossbow and has some crazy hair going on. He would have made a good BADGER if they had made a BADGER movie in the mid 80's. Plus Powers Booth , who is kind of a bad guy but kind of good but Powers is better when he's all bad like in EXTREME PREJUDICE. And we got good ol' donald Pleasance , a little titty action from Kathleen Turner and Brion James! I read up a bit on A BREED APART and there is a reason it comes off as uneven but it's too boring to go into in this review but there is a reason it is spotty in parts and anticlimactic. It has a decent action scene in the middle but the ending is just like , eh , here's a ending. Like a tv movie ending.
    If you are a Rutger Hauer fan I totally recommend this movie and I thought it was a rare find but I looked it up on amazon and it is a buck without shipping so it's there at a cheap price.
    Now , I'd like to hear from other Rutger fans and what you think of this movie if you've seen it and your fave Rutger Hauer movie besides BLADERUNNER. We all love it so no need to re-hash it. So let me know folks , I really wanna know~! /arty

No comments:

Post a Comment